Sunday, March 16, 2014

Triage mode

I use the phrase "triage mode" all the time when referring to how we manage our challenges. I used to panic about how to tackle everything at once. How I would keep the house clean, sleep, go to every therapy available (they will fix them, right?), sleep, cook dinner (and keep it healthy), sleep, read every book on autism, sleep, go to support groups, and just raise my daughter who isn't on the spectrum. We have definitely found our groove and I credit that to triage! 
I will break down Merriam Webster's definition "pants style"- 

Full Definition of TRIAGE credited to http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/triage

1
a :  the sorting of and allocation of treatment to patients and especially battle and disaster victims according to a system of priorities designed to maximize the number of survivors 
       *we will sort the laundry by dirty and clean and it probably won't get folded until we need to wear it again. We will treat toileting accidents as they come and make sure to have diapers and waterproof hardwood floors, and finally take a deep breath and hold on (glass of wine in hand)!  

b :  the sorting of patients (as in an emergency room) according to the urgency of their need for care
       * we will sort through the massive amounts of therapies and treatments for autism available and do what works for us. Do we really need to try it just because it is available? If only I asked myself this in the beginning as we have tried just about everything. Glad we went through this journey of snake oil, supplements, doctors, and research to find what fits for our kiddos. 
2
:  the assigning of priority order to projects on the basis of where funds and other resources can be best used, are most needed, or are most likely to achieve success
       *autism is expensive and I will do what we can to make it all work and somehow find time to go to concerts and dinner with hubby pants. In the meantime I will be proud of the life we have built and do my best to keep things copasetic! 
I would be lying if I said I wasn't stressed sometimes. These days I am just a little more focused on what is truly important without worrying about our original plans that were in place when we started our family. I have learned to deal with things with as much patience that a lack of sleep and coffee will allow and a sense of humor too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment