Friday, March 14, 2014

Home alone

When it is just me at home with big and little pants, I realize how silent and lonely it can be and how much I crave conversation. Here's the deal- neither one of them has anything more than functional communication (and big pants' scripting) so we have no true conversation. They don't even talk to each other, which on a positive note, means no fighting. In addition, they only ask for what they want, which is primarily food and movies. It is a weird dynamic. Not bad, just different. It is not lonely in the physical sense. In fact, I like my alone time with them. We play and have fun, but it is mostly directed by me and their attention span can be short. In all honesty, they prefer to be alone at home a lot of the time. They work so hard all day at school and therapy so when they get home they need their time to unwind and retreat in their world for a while. I respect that because they work harder than I do everyday. They keep busy and happy and I am grateful for their laughter even though most of the time I have no idea what they are giggling at. I guess hubby pants and I are doing something right!

This kind of silence is deafening at times and I mean that literally- these two can be so loud! When there is no one to talk to I can hear everything and realize how noisy our house can truly be. I hear them jumping on their beds (yep- that one still flies right now), making their self stimming noises, laughing, jumping on the hardwood floor and sometimes banging on the walls or tapping the windows. In addition, I can hear endless Sesame Street songs and "Mighty Bee" episodes on the Ipad. I wonder what the neighbors think when the windows are open? Who would ever think that two kids with nothing more than functional communication (and one of them using a Dynavox to talk) could be so noisy?

One thing is for sure, when we are home alone, the loudest and most frequent sound of all is my voice carrying the every repetitive, "where's your pants?"

Just another day in the life and I wouldn't do anything different!

No comments:

Post a Comment