Thursday, February 27, 2014

Adolescence beware or be weary?

So "big pants" (my oldest with autism), is 12 now and entering a stage I have always feared- adolescence! I am excited for this next phase as we have a lot to celebrate since his initial diagnosis, but I think there is something to fear as well- Facial hair, puberty, growth spurts and my selfish fear that he isn't my little boy anymore (of course I will still insist on smooching him in public whenever I please. I have earned that!).  I also see this next phase as another beginning. When this whole adventure started we were educating ourselves on every topic under the sun related to the newly diagnosed, early intervention, toilet training (still working on that one), etc. Now we are in unknown territory and this process starts again. I am now looking into conferences, resources, parent advice/success stories from those who have traveled these murky hormonal waters. I think this lifelong adventure will always have a beginning and that is good. It gives me an opportunity to look back on how far we have come and have the confidence to go forward and try new things. So with that being said, "big pants" is going to be full of surprises in the next few years. My NT 10 year old is on her way as well. Not sure the hubby and I thought that one through when we decided to have children 14 months apart. Oh well, let the games begin! Any advice will be well received. If only I could keep "little pants" little forever *sigh*.

No comments:

Post a Comment